Sunday, August 3, 2008

Don't Fence Me In



Don't Fence Me In is an anecdotal biography of Lewis Grizzard, who was a southern humorist who wrote about everything, 'close to his heart', shall we say...? Some have referred to him as a modern day Mark Twain ( and I for one, absolutely adored him!) He also did stand up comedy, as well as having a short roll on Designing Women. He died on March 20th, 1994.

I've been reading, but not as much as I could. Notice I don't say 'should', because unless you're in school or have research to do, the word 'should' shouldn't have any place in regards to reading time!

Since you last heard from me, I have read/been reading The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency By Alexander McCall Smith ( a re-read) Gone by Lisa Gardener, Lizard by Banana Yoshimoto ( The JLC2 ) and Emma, by Jane Austen ( my current classic.)

I had made a goal for myself a couple of posts back that I was going to plan to read a classic, a re-read, and a regular book - one at a time, of course. It seems to be working out pretty well, but I spend a lot of time on each classic, because, let's face it, those classics take some thought process, what with 'funny' speech patterns, outdated behavior, and symbolism. I spend so much time on each classic in fact, that I think I'm short-changing my desire to read more purely-for-fun-books.
Since I am not in any sort of a hurry, I really don't need to be so 'strict' with myself. Now, I am not being strict in the I 'should' read those books, but if I don't set some kind of personal goals for myself, I may not read any classics, or any old favorites very often. I want there to be a method to my reading!

I think I'm gonna broaden my goals...say, read two or 3 'fun' books, then a classic, then a re-read.( although my re-read books are all fun; that's why I want to read them again!) Yeah, that sounds good. Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Bellezza said...

I must say, I do love a classic. They take more time, I think, because we're not necessarily used to the beautiful language (plus, we want to savor the story). So often, when I read a current work it almost seems trite.

I hope you enjoy your book by Banana, and I want to read Emma, which I never have.